Posterior cortical atrophy support

Benefits and allowances

This page has information about a number of different sources of support and benefits that may be of help to people with posterior cortical atrophy (PCA). You may also be interested in our list of organisations that provide information and support.


Registering severely sight impaired (blind) or sight impaired (partially sighted)

If you are registered blind or partially sighted you may be eligible for additional support and reductions on certain services, such as a Disabled Person’s Railcard or a reduced price on local travel. It also provides additional support for disability benefits applications.

You need to be seen by a consultant ophthalmologist to assess whether you qualify for being registered either partially sighted or blind.

Please contact RNIB Helpline (0303 123 9999 / for further advice.

^ back to top ^

Disability benefits in the UK

This section provides an introduction to the main benefits and support services in the UK for which people with PCA may be eligible. The financial disability benefits are aimed at those who need someone to look after them due to physical or mental disability or both. The aim is to assist people with disabilities financially in order to enable them to continue to live in the community as independently as possible.

^ back to top ^

Disability Living Allowance

This is a non-means-tested benefit for those under the age of 65 who need help either with personal care (care component) or with walking (mobility component) or both. It is paid on three different levels depending on the level of need. People with PCA have successfully claimed for the mobility component due to visual difficulties affecting moving around unaided.

^ back to top ^

Attendance Allowance

This is a non-means-tested benefit for those aged 65 or over who need help with personal care or supervision for safety reasons. The benefit is paid on two levels depending on the level of need.

^ back to top ^

Employment and support allowance

This is a benefit for people under state pension age who are unable to work because of an illness or disability. This benefit may be paid once statutory sick pay has ended or if the person is not entitled to statutory sick pay. The person in question must have paid sufficient national insurance contributions. If the person is entitled to the highest rate of the care component of the disability living allowance, they can receive long-term incapacity benefit.

^ back to top ^

Carer’s Allowance

This is an allowance paid to carers who spend at least 35 hours a week looking after someone receiving either attendance allowance or the disability living allowance care component at the middle or the highest rate.

Carers are not eligible for carer’s allowance if they earn more than a limited amount each a week, if they are receiving more than a specified amount from certain other pensions or benefits or if they are in full-time education. Applying for carer’s allowance may impact the rate of other benefits already received.

^ back to top ^

Council Tax Discount/Exemption

Households where someone is receiving Attendance Allowance or middle-rate Disability Living Allowance may be eligible for a discount or an exemption. If in a two-person household one person is receiving disability benefits they may be eligible for council tax reduction. Someone living on their own and receiving appropriate benefits may be exempt from paying any council tax. Those on low income may also qualify for a reduction in their council tax. Further information and an application form can be obtained from the local authority or the Disability Benefits Helpline.

^ back to top ^


As a minimum most people with PCA should be eligible for the non-means-tested Disability Allowance or Attendance Allowance. It is advisable to seek advice prior to applying for benefits. If you are uncertain whether you may be eligible for certain benefits or if you need help with the application you can either contact the Disability Benefits Helpline or email or contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau ( or Age UK (0800 00 99 66 or

Applications can be made on line at or an application pack can be obtained by calling the Disability Benefits Helpline

^ back to top ^

Disability Benefits Helpline

Disability Benefits Helpline at

Telephone: 0345 605 6055

^ back to top ^


^ back to top ^